A teenage suicide bomber blew himself up outside NATO headquarters in Kabul on Saturday, killing six people, including child hawkers.
"It was a suicide attack that killed six people and wounded five others," interior ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi told AFP.
A senior police official speaking off the record gave the same death toll.
"It was a suicide bombing carried out by a young boy. So far there are six dead and five wounded. Most of the victims are young children who gather around ISAF to sell small items to soldiers leaving or getting into the base," he said.
General Ayub Salangi, the Kabul police chief, confirmed four deaths.
"A 16-year-old boy on foot, blew himself up killing four and wounding two, all civilians. There are some children among the dead and wounded," he said.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed responsibility.
"It was one of our mujahedeen targeting CIA officials in Kabul. Many foreigners have been killed. I don't know the number yet," he said.